You logic is flawed. To be legal, you will be buying at least two types of CAL's.

All users need a MS Windows CAL. This CAL covers you for authentication, file/print, etc.

From a Terminal Services Standpoint it depends on what version of Windows Server you are running.

For Windows 2000, every device that connects to the Terminal Server needs a TS Device CAL.

For Windows 2003, MS introduced a new type a TS CAL, A TS User CAL.

So the rule of thumb if you are using Windows 2003 is that if you have more devices than users, get TS User CAL's. If you have more users than Devices, get TS Device CAL's.

From there it depends on the apps you are running to determine what other CAL's are needed. (Exchange, SQL Server, etc).

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I like alot of people I guess have a need for windows on their networks.

I have some legacy industry apps for the construction companies i support,
these must use ms sql server, running on windows server.  I also have
office on the windows server and a bunch of sunray users connecting to it
via terminal services.

What i find is an aweful lot of costs come from microsoft cals licensing.

Atm i buy a CAL for every user, i was thinking abou this today and i was
wondering if I really could make do with a single device cal for all 3 ms
packages.

my logic is all the sunrays connect to the sunray server. It's the sunray
server connecting to windows server, not all the rays.  So only one device
is using the windows stuff?

Is this correct or is it flawed?

Matt