It works fine. I would however use different subnets for your 172 address. Right now they are on the same subnet and that can confuse the Sun Ray DHCP scripts.

After you down and unplumb (and remove and hosts.bge1 type files and clean up the other system files) run a utadm -a bge1 and like brad said type N to accept as it. Then just make sure you change bge0 and bge1 from be on the same subnet. Use 172.17.x.x or something.

Brad Lackey wrote:
I have never tried it, but I don't see why not.

LOEWENTHAL Simon wrote:

Hi Brad,
We cannot use 192 or 10 address internally because they're used for our other subnets. Is there a way to use a 172 address with the utadm -a bge1 command?
s.

Brad Lackey wrote:

Yes, to create a dedicated interconnect, you must remove any host/ip information from the interface.

It will give it a 192 address.

No there is no problem with running multiple Sun Ray servers on a dedicated interconnect. Just make sure to say N to "Is this correct?" during the utadm phase and give each server a unique host address and non-overlapping DHCP pools.

Brad

LOEWENTHAL Simon wrote:

No, only DTUs.  I tried a utadm -a bge1 but got this:

utadm -a bge1
### Configuring /etc/nsswitch.conf
### Configuring Service information for Sun Ray
### Disabling Routing
Interface "bge1" is already configured as
hostname "sbfsr2-dtunet"
To configure bge1 as a dedicated interconnect:
       remove the file /etc/hostname/bge1 and
       remove the host entry sbfsr2-dtunet or use a different hostname.
Please use the -A option to configure support for shared networks.

I presume I have to unplumb bge1 before I run utadm -a for this to work?

This network (subnet 25) will only have DTUs and other SunRay servers connected to it. Is it OK to have DTUs and several SR servers on an interconnect?

Brad Lackey wrote:

Is there anything besides DTU's on the bge1 networ? why not use "utadm -a bge1"?

Brad

LOEWENTHAL Simon wrote:

Dear All,

Here's a New Year's problem ;)

I have just set-up a SunFire z20 as a SunRay server. It has two interfaces bge0 & bge1. The DTUs are bge1 & have no need to route out over bge0. System is:
SunOS sbfsr2 5.10 Generic_118844-20 i86pc i386 i86pc

I ran utadm but get this error message: Error: unable to get information on primary interface

Has anyone seen this afore?

Many thanks, S.

Here are all the errors:
utadm -A 172.16.25.0
### Configuring /etc/nsswitch.conf
### Configuring Service information for Sun Ray
### Disabling Routing
  Selected values for subnetwork "172.16.25.0"
    net mask:           255.255.255.0
    no IP addresses offered
    auth server list:   172.16.5.241
    firmware server:    172.16.5.241
  Accept as is? ([Y]/N): n
  netmask: 255.255.255.0 (cannot be changed - system defined netmask)
  Do you want to offer IP addresses for this subnet? (Y/[N]): Y
  new first Sun Ray address: [172.16.25.4] 172.16.25.10
  number of Sun Ray addresses to allocate: [245] 100
  auth server list:     172.16.5.241
To read auth server list from file, enter file name:
Auth server IP address (enter <CR> to end list): 172.16.5.241
Auth server IP address (enter <CR> to end list): 172.16.25.241
Auth server IP address (enter <CR> to end list):
If no server in the auth server list responds,
should an auth server be located by broadcasting on the network? ([Y]/N):
  new firmware server: [172.16.5.241] 172.16.25.241
  new router: [172.16.25.1]
  Selected values for subnetwork "172.16.25.0"
    net mask:           255.255.255.0
    first unit address: 172.16.25.10
    last unit address:  172.16.25.109
    auth server list:   172.16.5.241 172.16.25.241
    firmware server:    172.16.25.241
    router:             172.16.25.1
  Accept as is? ([Y]/N):
Error: unable to get information on primary interface
Error:  unable to get information on the primary interface.
### Configuring firmware version for Sun Ray
Error: cannot set firmware version to network macro "172.16.25.0":
Configuration for DHCP subnet 172.16.25.0 does not exist.
### Configuring Sun Ray Logging Functions
### Turning on Sun Ray LAN connection

NOTE: utrestart must be run before LAN connections will be allowed

    *Brad Lackey*
Desktop and Mobility
Client Solutions Organization
(720) 548-3339