Wow, thanks Jim for the accurate and detailed explaination! Indeed, this
seems to have much to do with the NTFS/FUSE combination, as when I try to
mount those external USB drives I could see a line in the log saying FUSE
was being used here. I also did some tests with the iostat and iotop tools,
and seems that in the time interval between the device being plugged in and
when it gets opened as a folder on the client side, there's a process of
'nautilus --no-desktop <mountpoint>' running the 99% of the IO operations
of the server, so I guess this is the culprit.

I also tried setting Alejandro's options, but it didn't seem to help.

Any tips on why is that so expensive and how to reduce it a little bit?

Again thank you guys!