On 6 Oct 2016, at 16:22, Lee Howard wrote:

On 10/6/16, 3:30 PM, "sunset4 on behalf of JORDI PALET MARTINEZ" <sunset4-boun...@ietf.org on behalf of jordi.pa...@consulintel.es> wrote:

Despite how much I like all those ideas, I don't think we are ready to have an IPv6-only IETF network.

Unfortunately, there are many applications, VPNs, etc., which will not work just with NAT64, because literals, etc.

Can you make a list?

I created a link to create a page on the wg trac: https://tools.ietf.org/wg/sunset4/trac/wiki. Click on the link and it will create a new wiki page so people can put data. You need to login in before with your ietf credentials.

However, (speaking as individual), I’m not sure we want to start that endeavour. Others have tried in the past and it is more complicated than it appears.

marc.

Or, can we start a list, and have people add things to it at the next meeting, so we can work to resolve them by the following meeting?

I will suggest something alternative at this stage:

Having the IETF network as a typical SME or residential customer of an ISP which has run out of IPv4 addresses, provides an IPv6-only WAN link and uses CLAT (464XLAT) at the customer CPE.

How well-tested is that in laptop environments? The only deployments I know of are on mobile networks, which have a different set of applications and protocols using them. Do you know of others?

This means having GUA addresses but only private IPv4 address, and having a router behaving as the IETF network “CPE” supporting CLAT.

Of course we still need the NAT64+DNS64.

This way, we will have a high proportion of IPv6 traffic and we can take some measurements about “what” apps and Internet end-points are still using the NAT64/DNS64, and what apps are using the CLAT and we can also have the secretariat or ISOC to make sure to talk with those organizations to let know them that they have a problem …

Do you mean NAT64 on a different SSID as the 464xlat? I'm confused.

Lee

Saludos,
Jordi