I was wondering if it is possible to get a silent boot without having to
modify runit itself. With systemd, the `quiet` kernel parameter acheives
this. Is there anything similar for runit to prevent messages being
displayed to the tty?

 No, runit hardcodes stdout and stderr to /dev/console. In order to
silence things, you'd have to:
 - either redirect the console to something nonexistent or quiet on
the kernel command line (would "console=null" work?)
 - or redirect stdout and stderr for the service you want to keep
quiet. For instance, if you want the supervision tree to be quiet,
you could add >/dev/null 2>&1 to the runsvdir invocation in
/etc/runit/2.

(With s6-linux-init, all of init's output is redirected to the default
logger, and you have a switch for whether or not to also display it
on the console.)

Also I tried looking in the mailing list archives, but neither site was
up.

 skarnet.org has been up for about 300 days. It is possible, however,
that specific messages that you wanted to access in the archive did not
display correctly.

--
 Laurent