This is more of a question for Sebastian (the author) than the rest of
us, though mailing the list is indeed the right thing to do.

I'm under the impression that Sebastian doesn't test suPHP on systems
using a threaded MPM, but tests it under systems using the prefork MPM.

Regardless of what people think, threading on UNIX is still fairly new
as far as general application adoption goes.  Sure, Solaris's threading
model is fast and rock-solid, but as I'm sure you know, the number of
threaded applications is fairly low (compared to fork) on UNIX.

Also, you have to ask yourself: is switching to a threaded MPM *really*
something you want to do on a hosting environment?  Historically hosting
environments have CGIs and other scripted languages that were written
purely with the forked environment in mind (e.g. classic Apache 1.3 or
older).  I am very well aware of the benefits of threads, but I often
wonder why someone would consider that model for a hosting environment.
It's still too new of a technology, IMHO.