steveinseattle wrote:

I was aware of the suggested syntax by Jay of using the -edit command
line flag.  Fundamentally, the problem with that approach is that if
you have SeaMonkey open (even the browser and not Composer), you get
the error:
 "A copy of SeaMonkey is already open.  Only one copy of SeaMonkey can
be open at a time."

sorry to say, but it does work, so therefore, the problem is with your setup [computer setup that is]. Its not accepting another window to open.