On 12/24/2008 8:26 AM, Michael Gordon wrote:
> JD replied On 12/24/2008 8:34 AM
>
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> prefbar has its own newsgroup, where you can get better help there:
>>> http://prefbar.mozdev.org/newsgroup.html
>>>
>> I moved the npswf32.dll to
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Mozilla\plugins and
>> renamed the original to npswf32.dll.old. Flash still works and I can now
>> disable it with PrefBar.
>>

> JD,
>
> Your solution is the only one I have found to work with PrefBar, however
> keep in mind when you upgrade SeaMonkey to a new security release
> version you have to manually remove SeaMonkey (Add/Remove Programs)
> before installing the upgrade.  When you use this method of upgrading
> the uninstaller will ask you twice if you want to remove all of
> SeaMonkey, the first time it is to remove all the SeaMonkey files, click
> yes, the second time is to remove all the files and folders in the
> SeaMonkey program folder, click no.
>
> If you allow SeaMonkey to use the automatic installer it will remove all
> files and folder contents in the SeaMonkey program folder including all
> plugins, extensions, themes and other add-ons you have installed to the
> program folder.
>
> Michael

I install SeaMonkey updates without removing the old version.  When the
installer asks about removing old files, I always indicate "Yes".

This installation process never touches the plugins directory with one
exception:  The "Mozilla Default Plug-in" npnul32.dll is always updated.
 None of the other plugins in that directory (6 in my configuration) are
affected.

With Windows (used by the originator of this thread), the Flash plugin
isn't even in the SeaMonkey plugins directory.  It's in
[C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\].  Five other plugins in my
configuration are also installed outside of the SeaMonkey plugins
directory.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>