Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
BrunoR wrote:
Daniel wrote:
BrunoR wrote:
I just lost the bulk of my bookmarks.  I.E. Book marks are still there
but reduced to about 10 from more than 100.
Are there instructions somewhere on how to retrieve the lost ones, if
possible?
Thank you

Bruno, not withstanding what Bill has said, can you give us a bit of detail about what you were doing at the time that you lost the bulk of your bookmarks??

Hi, I do agree with what Bill has said; Sometimes we just cause ourselves to suffer unnecessary aggravations for reasons that are not always clear ;-(.

Also, my bookmarks may not have been that important to keep. Here is what I was doing: I was trying to do what Bill had suggested but before making a backup I successfully sorted my bookmarks then, trying to make that backup file, whoops, everything was gone without me realizing what really happened.
When I looked at bookmarks again I realized that I had lost most of them
except 10 of them..

Thank you both for trying to be helpful, but I think we might as well rest the case.

Look a file called bookmarks.bak. What is the size of that. If its large, then perhaps it contains all your old bookmarks. Just rename the file to bookmarks-bak.html and see if you can open it with the bookmark manager under File, Open

In addition to those advices which I hope will help you, I suggest running chkdsk on the partition that holds your profile. If any error is found, choose "do not delete" what ever is found if you have the option and using a file manager, check the contents of the recovered file fragments. It is usually pointless but ...

In addition to backups, which are indispensible (consider automating the process via a utility so that you have a daily backup of main files and keep a full backup of your profile), I suggest checking partitions on a regular basis for file and surface errors.

--
John Doue