HeavyDuty wrote:
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
HeavyDuty wrote:
Alwil Avast 4.8
Seamonkey 1.1.14
XP-Pro SP3.

I had to uninstall Avast AV 4.8 and reinstall it.
As a result of this activity, three changes happened to Seamonkey. 1) ALL my stored passwords disappeared; 2) ALL my stored and perpetual cookies disappeared; 3) My SSL settings were reset to give all warnings.

Riddle me that? What does Avast have to do with Seamonkey (and why/how could it make those changes)?

I was able to restore passwords/cookies by pulling up last night's backup for the xxxxxx.s file, rename the current file, rename the restored file with the current .s file name. All was returned to normal.

why don't you ask them?: http://forum.avast.com/index.php

 I asked and was answered:
Simply - avast does not make these changes to browsers, and avast never has a clue what POP mail client is being used and does not make any changes to them. avast's interaction with browsers is limited to intercepting the http calls it makes at the network level and the same goes for the unsecured POP/SMTP calls of mail clients, again at the network level. avast knows nothing of the internal working of any given browser or mail client.

I think that there is a probability during the changes you were making to get the USB drive installed SeaMonkey may have had difficulty getting to the stored profile information for your browser and email client and created a new clean profile.

So, if Avast did not cause this, and the timing was just coincidental, what would cause Seamonkey to "burp" as it did?

how are we supposed to know. You gave one story to the SM support group, and another to the avast forum. Whats this all about: "you were making to get the USB drive installed."