On 01/16/09 16:28, Rick Merrill wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Rick Merrill wrote:

>>> SM fails to pass the message, translating all the possible info right
>>> out of it.  I want the message original message from the server so I
>>> can debug my address list.
>>
>> unless I'm missing something, this has nothing to do with SM. Talk to
>> your email provider
>>

> I have been told by telnet experts that the diagnostic comes from the
> server but the mail client (SM) "could" pass it along but does not.
> According to them 'some' clients can maintain a log of the SMTP
> transactions, sooo I was wondering/hoping that SeaMonkey could do that.
> I really hate it when 1 of many email addresses has gone bad, don't you?

Actually, there are two communications happening here. First, is SeaMonkey
talking to your configured SMTP server. That server will "accept" your e-mail
and promises to delivery it "later" (if possible). SeaMonkey will tell you
about any problems which occur during that communication (but that's not
what is going wrong in this case).

The error you're referencing above, however, happens during the second part
of the transaction - when the mail server attempts to deliver the message
to the target mail server. When that has problems, it's up to the target
mail server (and in some cases, you're mail server) to send an "error"
e-mail message back to you. Some will, some won't (and it depends on the
error as well).

In the case you're talking about, SeaMonkey is not involved at all, so there
is nothing SeaMonkey can do to get you that error information.

If you send an e-mail with a bad e-mail address and don't get a "bounce"
message back reporting the error, you should talk to your SMTP provider
(the administrator of the SMTP server your SeaMonkey client is talking
to) and ask them to look into it.

Does that help?