On 01/17/09 11:00, Rick Merrill wrote:
> Mark Hansen wrote:

>>> I have been told by telnet experts that the diagnostic comes from the
>>> server but the mail client (SM) "could" pass it along but does not.
>>> According to them 'some' clients can maintain a log of the SMTP
>>> transactions, sooo I was wondering/hoping that SeaMonkey could do that.
>>> I really hate it when 1 of many email addresses has gone bad, don't you?
>>
>> Actually, there are two communications happening here. First, is SeaMonkey
>> talking to your configured SMTP server. That server will "accept" your e-mail
>> and promises to delivery it "later" (if possible). SeaMonkey will tell you
>> about any problems which occur during that communication (but that's not
>> what is going wrong in this case).
>>
>> The error you're referencing above, however, happens during the second part
>> of the transaction - when the mail server attempts to deliver the message
>> to the target mail server. When that has problems, it's up to the target
>> mail server (and in some cases, you're mail server) to send an "error"
>> e-mail message back to you. Some will, some won't (and it depends on the
>> error as well).
>>
>> In the case you're talking about, SeaMonkey is not involved at all, so there
>> is nothing SeaMonkey can do to get you that error information.
>>
>> If you send an e-mail with a bad e-mail address and don't get a "bounce"
>> message back reporting the error, you should talk to your SMTP provider
>> (the administrator of the SMTP server your SeaMonkey client is talking
>> to) and ask them to look into it.
>>
>> Does that help?
>
> There is another possible situation where the delivery to a particular
> domain fails because the package (attachment) is too large. Apparently
> my server will handle 15MB mail but other servers (recipient) will only
> accept 10MB (or so).  In these cases there have been [ I'm not going to
> try a test here;-)  ] rejections of the entire email.  In one case I had
> to change  'blah.com' to 'msn.blah.com' to make it work !-)

I don't understand the point you're trying to make here. Yes, there are a
number of reasons why the target SMTP server may not accept the message
from your SMTP server. Each SMTP server can be configured differently.

The moral of your size issue is that you shouldn't try to send e-mail
messages with really large attachments. I would think 1MB would be too
large - 15MB is really out there. Instead, find a hosting service (many
free ones available) where you can upload the file, then provide a link
to the file in your e-mail message.

I hope you realize that changing from 'blah.com' to 'msn.blah.com' didn't
"make it work", it just caused the e-mail message to be routed to a different
service which was probably configured with a higher max message size than
the one used first. Given the fact that many sites have more than one
SMTP server working in parallel, it may just have been luck as to which
one you got when you sent your message.

You may expect that all the SMTP servers used by "blah.com" would be configured
the same, but that is not a requirement. "blah.com" can configure their mail
servers any way they like :-)

Best Regards,