Mark Hansen wrote:
On 01/17/09 11:00, Rick Merrill wrote:
Mark Hansen wrote:
On 01/16/09 16:28, Rick Merrill wrote:
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
Rick Merrill wrote:
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
Rick Merrill wrote:
Sometimes an email address fails for one reason or another.
This is not a problem if you have a single addressee but if
one of many addresses fails it's nice to know which one had
the problem.

In email the client says:
RCPT TO:<u...@baddomain.com>
the server replies:
550 No such domain
So the client can see immediately the incorrect address.
But the SM email client doesn't display the result to the user.

Is there any way to access the "RCPT' message in SM?
In other words, is there a way to create & examine "a session log"?

- Rick
this isn't a message from SM but rather from the sending server. And the message only tells you which address, in this case u...@baddomain.com, is bad, cause there is no such domain as baddomain.com.

SM fails to pass the message, translating all the possible info right out of it. I want the message original message from the server so I can debug my address list.
unless I'm missing something, this has nothing to do with SM. Talk to your email provider

I have been told by telnet experts that the diagnostic comes from the server but the mail client (SM) "could" pass it along but does not.
According to them 'some' clients can maintain a log of the SMTP
transactions, sooo I was wondering/hoping that SeaMonkey could do that.
I really hate it when 1 of many email addresses has gone bad, don't you?
Actually, there are two communications happening here. First, is SeaMonkey
talking to your configured SMTP server. That server will "accept" your e-mail
and promises to delivery it "later" (if possible). SeaMonkey will tell you
about any problems which occur during that communication (but that's not
what is going wrong in this case).

The error you're referencing above, however, happens during the second part
of the transaction - when the mail server attempts to deliver the message
to the target mail server. When that has problems, it's up to the target
mail server (and in some cases, you're mail server) to send an "error"
e-mail message back to you. Some will, some won't (and it depends on the
error as well).

In the case you're talking about, SeaMonkey is not involved at all, so there
is nothing SeaMonkey can do to get you that error information.

If you send an e-mail with a bad e-mail address and don't get a "bounce"
message back reporting the error, you should talk to your SMTP provider
(the administrator of the SMTP server your SeaMonkey client is talking
to) and ask them to look into it.

Does that help?
There is another possible situation where the delivery to a particular domain fails because the package (attachment) is too large. Apparently my server will handle 15MB mail but other servers (recipient) will only accept 10MB (or so). In these cases there have been [ I'm not going to try a test here;-) ] rejections of the entire email. In one case I had
to change  'blah.com' to 'msn.blah.com' to make it work !-)

I don't understand the point you're trying to make here. Yes, there are a
number of reasons why the target SMTP server may not accept the message
from your SMTP server. Each SMTP server can be configured differently.

The moral of your size issue is that you shouldn't try to send e-mail
messages with really large attachments. I would think 1MB would be too
large - 15MB is really out there. Instead, find a hosting service (many
free ones available) where you can upload the file, then provide a link
to the file in your e-mail message.

I hope you realize that changing from 'blah.com' to 'msn.blah.com' didn't
"make it work", it just caused the e-mail message to be routed to a different
service which was probably configured with a higher max message size than
the one used first.

Agreed. THat is what we call 'make it work'  ;-)

Given the fact that many sites have more than one
SMTP server working in parallel, it may just have been luck as to which
one you got when you sent your message.

It was a temporary situation, but it was several days before it was fixed.

You may expect that all the SMTP servers used by "blah.com" would be configured
the same, but that is not a requirement. "blah.com" can configure their mail
servers any way they like :-)

So I have found out.

Thanks,

Rick