Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:52:47 -0600, /Lemuel Johnson/:
Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#edef-LABEL>:

To associate a label with another control implicitly, the control element must be within the contents of the LABEL element. In this case, the LABEL may only contain one control element. The label itself may be positioned before or after the associated control.

I'm quite familiar with the standard. My interpretation is that you can use the explicit for/id method *or* the implicit method without the for/id. Using both clearly confuses a certain browser near to our hearts and is, IMHO, poorly written code.

Your interpretation appears wrong as there's nothing forbidding combining the explicit with the implicit form, and I'm not aware of browsers which "get confused" of such usage. Which browser gets confused? Combining the explicit with the implicit form is at least necessary as fallback to IE6 lack of implicit label support.

But we digress...

--
Stanimir