Ray K schrieb:
Martin Feitag wrote:

pdf is handled by Adobe Reader plugin on that machine
That's why I tested with avi, too.
In both cases (wmv & avi) a window with mailbox:///xxxxxx is being
opened.
Whilst avi is being opened by VLC, wmv is opened by WMP.
The difference is: VLC opens and plays the file, WMP opens and does not.
It just complains that there is a problem with the url or site or the
filetype cannot be detected "blablabla" (of course it plays that file
without problems when opened file-manager)

The plug-in hint was good though. Although both applications open in a
separate window SM's "helper-application" lists "Windws Media Player
Plugin Dynamic link library" for wmv-files. When set to "Windows Media
Player" directly it works fine.
Ray, you may want to edit your helper-applictions that way. :-)

I went to Helper Applications, highlighted File Type video/x-ms-wmv, and
clicked on Edit. The tick mark was next to 'Open it using the default
application". I then changed the tick to "Open it with"; the path tha
was already in the box was c:\Program Files\Windows Media
Player\wmplayer.exe. I click on Okay, and I got a message that SM can
handle this type internally. I clicked on Proceed anyway, but I still
couldn't play the wmv attachment if any instances of SM were open.

I never saw the words "Windws Media Player Plugin Dynamic link library."

I like FX so much that I'm going to worry about this problem any more.l
I doesn't exist with FX, and I will be abandoning SM shortly.

Ray

I'm at home now and had a look in Seamonkey 1.1.14. You're right, it says it will handle this file-type internally. Looks like the easy way of changing this is only available in Seamonkey 2.0 (btw. have you given SM2.0 a try yet? Offering many improvents from newer Firefox-Versions ;-) )

If anyone knows how to disable internal handling of a specific filetype in SM1.1.x, let me know anyway please...