On 03/21/2009 04:27 PM, John Reinders wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 03/21/2009 07:49 AM, John Reinders wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have attached a link to a .jpg showing an Avg error message that my
>>> Dad is periodically getting. Sometimes every morning after he turns on
>>> his computer and opens Seamonkey, sometimes every other day - not
>>> consistent.
>>>
>>> I have run multiple scans of his system using Avg, also Malware programs
>>> including MVT and the the one from Microsoft, and AdAware and have found
>>> nothing. His system seems to be running fine...

>   Thanks a million! Gee this is scary stuff, what a world we live in!
> Will keep you posted on how we make out. Might be helpful to someone
> else later on...
>
> John

Could also be that AVG is doing it's job and he's actually not infected
- hence the reason for the AVG popups. In addition to clearing the cache
& cookies that other's mentioned, and turning off javascript (at least
for awhile), I'd also clear the history (change it to store for only 1
day etc) & temporarily rename & examine his bookmark.html file. In other
words, try to 'clean' his profile as much as you possibly can, or
alternatively create a new profile for him & let him use that for a week
to see if he gets any more. I also very much recommend that you install
PrefBar & teach him to use it; he can easily turn off javascript, java,
cookies, images, flash, etc. See:

http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
  http://prefbar.mozdev.org/help/
   http://prefbar.mozdev.org/screenshots.html

Please also make sure that his current version of SM is fully
up-to-date. See:
<http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/seamonkey11.html#seamonkey1.1.15>
for more details.

The new 2.x version of SeaMonkey includes several features included in
FireFox 3.x such as nicely clearing history, cookies. etc on shutdown.
You might want to consider installing that version - it will import his
mail etc settings and run in parallel to his older version of SM. So
he/you can try that without affecting his exisiting version of SM.

This may be the hardest one of all: educate him about safe browsing.
Remember when he may have taught you about the birds & the bees, or that
first time that he allowed you to drive on a major highway with him in
the passenger seat? Well, it's important for the younger and/or more
knowledgeable folks to turn that around and educate their folks about
save-hex (or in my case my grown sons). Teach him about phishing, spam,
419's, that posting on a list, the web, or group is forever, etc.
  With a solid bit of knowledge on what to look for, what to avoid he'll
be able to alert you when he finds something less suspicious than an AVG
warning. He may overwelm you at first with false positives, but be
patient & treat each 'alert' as serious and if it is a false positive
explain why & how _you_ know it is.

Good luck.

Gary/NoOp