Keith Whaley schrieb:
What I use:

SeaMonkey 1.1.16
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.21)
Lucida Grande font
Character encoding: Western ISO-8859-1

I never paid much attention to it before now, but how my list messages (text
documents) display is getting irritating, so I decided to look into why it
does what it does.

I type a standard ascii text document, such as in an email or list message, in
which I've put in a few apostrophes and a bullet or two here and there, and I
get all sorts of odd characters INSTEAD of what I typed.

My sentence leading bullets display as s Yen currency symbol.
The apostrophes appear as a capital O with a circumflex over it.

Get document info calls it the Quirk mode of displaying text in Mozilla. I
guess.

I really don't like it, and I want to find a way to avoid using html, just to
have my text show up as I type it!

Is there another solution?
I see this odd character substution all the time, in other documents on the
'net, even some you would have thought would have been composed in html, yet
they still have these quirky (had to say it!) substitutions for apostrophes,
etc...

Thanks for any help...

keith whaley

My guess is either the Font or rather the character encoding. Have you tried to change View => character encoding to Western-ISO-... or Unicode (UTF-8) accordingly when viewing mails?
regards

Martin