'Save Image As' no longer works
'Save Link Target As' no longer works
I can't open the Download Manager explicitly either

Edit -> Preferences -> Navigator -> Downloads looks perfectly normal.

My setting is to download to the last directory used and if I try and
navigate around, changes are accepted even though it won't actually
allow me to save there.

What I mean by 'no longer works' is: nothing happens.  The download
simply does not take place.

The Level and Platform are what you can see in the message header,
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.22) Gecko/20090605
SUSE/1.1.17-1.3 SeaMonkey/1.1.17

Does anyone have the remotest idea where I can start looking?

Firefox 3.5.2 is on the same machine and behaves normally.

I have not upgraded Seamonkey recently (this started some time around
the weekend) but there have been security updates to various products
and it is possible Seamonkey may use one or more of them.