When I tried to send e-mail with Seamonkey 2.0, I kept getting the following message:

Sending of message failed.
An error occurred sending mail: Unable to authenticate to SMTP server mailhost.worldnet.att.net. It does not support authentication (SMTP-AUTH) but you have chosen to use authentication. Uncheck 'Use name and password' for that server or contact your service provider.

Going over the Mail Account Settings, nowhere did I have checked any type of authentication request.

The only way I could correct this was to manually edit prefs.js.
There was a line

user_pref("mail.smtpserver.smtp1.auth_method", 1);

which I assumed must be causing the problem. I changed the 1 to 0 and could then send e-mail.

Is this a known bug? Is it a change between Seamonkey 1.1.18 and 2.0?