John Doue wrote:
I nevertheless believe it will take quite some time before SM 2.x offers
the features - or the adequate workarounds for those which are not
replaced - that lots of users appreciate in 1.1.xx. Updating add-ons and
probably creating new ones will also be necessary.

We're trying as hard as we can, but sure, esp. on the add-ons front you're totally right. The good thing is that for one thing the whole add-on management is much better and more robust now, and for the other, we have done the really heavy lifting to the new platform now and can do further releases in smaller steps.

Realistically, it will also take quite some time before the bugs which
quite normally will start appearing as usage develops (as is always the
case even for the best products) can be corrected.

True, though a lot of the "new" code we switched to is already in use by hundreds of millions of Firefox users and therefore has seen a good amount of testing before SeaMonkey even used it.

Bottom line is, I do hope you and your team will show consideration and
understanding for the users who will remain faithful to 1.1.xx until
they are comfortable making the switch, especially knowing that, if
IIRC, SM 2.1 will adopt the FF bookmarks system.

As I said, we're trying as hard as we can, but it doesn't make sense to make SeaMonkey the dumping ground for old code nobody else wants to maintain any more, and so we might also continue to drop some things, like the import of old download history (which probably isn't essential for many people anyhow, even though it might be nice to have).

Robert Kaiser