On 10/29/2009 8:52 AM, Ken Rudolph wrote:
> Ken Rudolph wrote:
>> I'm having trouble with my bank's billpay.  They don't accept the
>> SeaMonkey 2.0 browser, and it even crashes the browser.
>>
>> It used to be in SM 1.1.18 that I could spoof IE or Firefox (or even
>> permanently change the User-Agent in the config file). But now the Tools
>> menu doesn't even have a temporary spoofing option. Any work around for
>> this with SM 2.0? Could somebody walk me through the procedure of
>> modifying the configuration file if that's the best fix?
>>
>> I did report this problem to the SM project.
>>
>> Here's the message I get which freezes my browser & doesn't even allow
>> the "Back" button to operate:
>>
>> The browser you are using is not currently supported by Wachovia Online
>> BillPay. For best results and to ensure accuracy, we recommend you use
>> one of the following supported browsers:
>>
>> * Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 (download for Windows Vista and XP)
>> * Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 (download for Windows XP)
>> * Firefox 3 (download for Windows Vista and XP)
>> * Apple Safari 4 (download for Mac OS X 10.5.x)
>
> I seem to have solved this for the time being by adding
> "Firefox/3.5.4" to the general.useragent.extra.seamonkey line in
> about:config.  Am I causing any potential permanent harm with this?
>
> --Ken Rudolph

If you had a menu bar or tool bar option for this in SM 1.1.x, you must
have installed an extension to provide that capability.  This was not
and is still not an inherent SeaMonkey capability.  As does Bankston, I
use the PrefBar extension for this; but there are other extensions with
similar spoofing capabilities.

Having migrated my SM 1.1.18 preferences to SM 2, this morning I updated
the PrefBar menulist item for UA spoofing to show:
        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.4)
                 Gecko/20091017 SeaMonkey/2.0, NOT  Firefox/3.5.3
Previously, it indicated SeaMonkey/1.1.18.

I really think you should indeed install an extension to do this and not
make the "Firefox" portion permanent.  Good extensions will
automatically result in reverting back to your real UA string when you
terminate and then relaunch SeaMonkey.  This is very important.  You
want as many Web accesses as possible to show that they were from
SeaMonkey and not from Firefox.  Otherwise, Web developers will have not
incentive to accommodate SeaMonkey.  (The proper accommodation is to
sniff for "Gecko" and not for "Firefox".  The best accommodation is to
create Web pages that don't require sniffing.)

By the way, your signature should have the "-- " on a separate line from
your name.  And that's dash-dash-space, not merely dash-dash.  See RFC
3676 at <ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3676.txt>.  For an
example, see my signature immediately below.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>