»Q« wrote:
In <news:3iadnwfge7zk_grxnz2dnuvz_vsdn...@mozilla.org>,
James <res07...@gte.net> wrote:

I still would appreciate it if anyone can tell me if there is a way
to PROPERLY reply [without creating the problem with new threads]
from the mailing list interface.

If you're receiving all the list e-mails, instead of just digests,
simply replying should work fine without creating "new" threads.

It doesn't. I don't receive digests, but daily input to my mailing list, and it does the same thing James has a problem with. My convoluted way of using the mailing list is no fun either, but it does not seem to create any changes to how the message is threaded, nor any change to the Subject line.
I see no need for this annoyance, but it continues.

(You weren't actually creating new threads, but your replies were
threaded under the digest posts, which most people don't have copies of.)

If there is not then why the heck is it even provided?  Members of
this list obviously don't want to have to struggle with a new thread
with every reply.

Digests are mostly useful for people who want to keep up with what's
going on in a list without actually participating.  People who want to
subscribe to the digests only but still reply to them should do what
you did, changing the Subject, but also mention in the body that
they're replying to digests so the regulars don't get bent out of shape.

keith whaley