Interviewed by CNN on 16/11/2009 13:56, Brian Fairey told the world:

> I found them but now the files have no extension ie saved.file???
> or a msf extension ie saved.msf
> How do I open them or transfer them to SM 2.0

Netscape/Mozilla/Seamonkey/Thunderbird mail store files have no
extension, this is normal. MSF files are just index files to improve
performance; if they don't exist, Seamonkey will recreate them when you
open the message folder.

A quick-and-dirty way to move those old messages to the new profile
is... just moving them to the new mail store folder. If you don't want
to delete the corresponding folder in the new profile, just rename the
old file -- for instance, rename inbox to inbox2 and move it to the same
folder where the new inbox file is.

The next time you open Seamonkey, it will recognize that file as a mail
folder, recreate the MSF index and you will have all your messages back,
no special configuration necessary. That's one of the things I like best
about Netscape-descended mail programs...

The other main thing I like is that the mail stores are mbox-based --
which means, they are plaintext files. Once or twice over the last
fifteen years I had a mail file become corrupted -- I just loaded it
into a text editor and fixed it by excising the damaged message. Fixing
a corrupted mail store in Outlook or Outlook Express, OTOH, is a black
art usually involving special software...

Although I wouldn't mind seeing an option for using maildir storage
instead of mbox. There's a couple bugs open for it as a request for
enhancement, they already have my votes...

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

-=-=-
... Don't trust nothin' except your instinct.-Forrest Gump
* TagZilla 0.0661 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org on Seamonkey 2.0