On Dec 17, 10:35 pm, »Q« <boxc...@gmx.net> wrote:
> I've got nss-3.12.3-r1, which isn't the latest from Mozilla but which
> is well after StartCom certs were added.

StartCom certs were added long ago but they were only allowed for
signing code relatively recently. The version of NSS isn't important
here, it's the version of the certificate store (ckbi library) that is
relevant. Mozilla used NSS_3_12_2_WITH_CKBI_1_75_RTM in Firefox
3.0.12, that's the first version to support StartCom's code signing.
>From the look of it, Gentoo simply gets the source code from the FTP
server - version 3.12.3 there comes with ckbi 1.73, only version
3.12.3.1 has ckbi 1.75.