Robert Kaiser wrote:
Rufus schrieb:
My initial point/suggestion was to leverage capability built into the
individual OS...thus allowing you to drop some code altogether.

By introducing at least three code paths for the three major platforms, and probably some more for others like Solaris, AIX, OS/2 and whatever else builds can be made for.

Which you do already in maintaining a multi-platform product, so it's not a stretch.

But again - that also assumes the lines of code required to branch would be far fewer that the number of lines required to write a whole forms and/or password managing routine; and might prove a bit more maintainable to, because interface implementation would be tied to a well documented commercial product.

But I also stated that that suggestion would be moot if all three
primary OSs didn't provide the same function/service across the board.

It's surely not the same, but different implementations that do similar but in details different things and usually are completely different to interface with.

Robert Kaiser

What I would leverage would be the similarities, if they exist; common data within similar but not identical databases.

But I'm beginning to think that my initial caveat of "similar built in capability" across the OS spectrum probably prohibits the whole idea...

--
     - Rufus