MCBastos wrote:
Zindus seems to be a bit more focused on Zimbra (which I don't use) than
gMail,

Just to be clear - the zindus addon doesn't focus on Zimbra in preference to Google. In fact, due to the relative size of the user bases, the reverse has probably been true of late. But it's true that the zindus addon isn't google-specific, see:
http://www.zindus.com/blog/2008/04/22/a-contact-sync-server-for-thunderbird/

Philip Chee wrote:
In the SeaMonkey 2.1, Thunderbird 3.2 timeframe a Thunderbird developer,
jcranmer, plans to rewrite the addressbook APIs to make them saner,
actually usable by extensions such as weave and provide a unique ID for
each addressbook entry which we currently don't have.

This last is the main sticking point for any extension that wants to
sync addressbooks

Two quick observations:
1. the rewrite targets and timelines suggested above seem far
   from assured - here's the last thing I read about it:
http://quetzalcoatal.blogspot.com/2010/01/predicted-work-on-thunderbird.html

2. sync addons don't really need contacts to have a mozilla-provided
   unique id because they can assign ids to contacts as
   per-contact attributes.  That's how the zindus addon
   manages contact uniqueness.

Regards -

Leni.