The 'get new messages' button has a drop down to choose a specific account. What is supposed to happen when you just click it? My problem is I have a Gmail IMAP account and a separate pop account that I haven't checked in over a year. I don't want it to download everything into 'local folders', so till now I've been just doing a drop-select for gmail.
Here's my understanding of how it might work-
1) If an account or a subfolder is selected in the tree view, 'get messages' will only get them for the selected account.
2) It always fetches everything.
Which of the above is right?

As an aside- is there a way to exclude an account from being included when I click 'get messages' (so that it only happens if I select it from the dropdown) ?
Said account already has automatic mail check every x minutes disabled.