Leonidas Jones wrote:
Phillip Jones wrote:
Robert Kaiser wrote:
Phillip Jones wrote:
Robert Kaiser wrote:
Phillip Jones schrieb:
I have tabs turned off for now. But everything opens in new windows
(which is better than tabs.) I'd like for it to re-use the current
window. I know on SM 1.1.18 there were certain sites that forced new
windows. but most would reuse the same window. In SM 2 everything
brings
up a new window. for example: if I click a link say with this post. It
should open the existing browser window, and show the content
there. But
actually my ISP's home page window is untouched, and I have two window
instances. If I click on to another page within that page, most of the
time another window comes up.

There should be a setting that is currently grouped in "tabbed
browsing"
where you can change that. Be aware that the internal mail client
follows the setting for external applications, though.

Robert Kaiser

There actually no definitive setting saying use windows instead of tabs

I have Link open behavior - new window
Links from other application - new window

if set for open in existing window or tab then it shows tabs instead of
windows.

"Existing window/tab" should not open any new tabs, but actually reuse
what is currently open - and IIRC, that is what you want.

Robert Kaiser
I've fixed by this method:

I found a solution, and SM works ten times as fast as it did before in
the browser. I went back to preferences and chose open *Window/Tab* in
same window for both Link open Behavior and links from other
applications. Then while here, where I made sure tabs don't show up at
all. I ticked the check mark box beside use tabs only if middle button
(Mouse) plus Return is hit. I'd say it opens pages almost as fast as
iCab which seems to be the fastest browser I have. Beats Opera 10, FF,
Camino, OmniWeb.

Phillip, I would be careful about making statements that you cannot
backup, it will damage your credibility.

10 times faster?  Come on now! I tried disabling tabs, and opening
windows instead, with no gain in speed at all. The same links open in
new tabs just as fast as new windows.

Not to mention, I often have 10-20 tabs open at a time.  Trying to keep
track of that many windows is a nightmare.

I realize this might not be your work model.  If you only have a couple
or three open at a time, it probably works, and if it works for you,
that's great.  But 10 times faster?  Please provide some data to back
that up.

Lee

 YMMV.

But for me its like the difference between night and day. And, it was related to having Multiple windows open for going each link in a page rather than reusing the same window.

I don't have the luxury of one of the newfangled 8 GB , quadcore machines. I'm still using just a lowly 1.67GB PowerPC Machine. Plus I have a Slow DSL Line (1 mb synchronous). so setting to open in same window sped up for me as I said.

As you know, I don't do tabs.

mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com