Interviewed by CNN on 1/3/2010 20:59, Frank Van Eynde told the world:
> I have installed version 2.03 on another newer computer and am unable to
> send messages.
>
> I received the following notification
>

> Sending of message failed
> An error ocurred sending mail:Unable to authenticate to SMTP server
> shawmail.no.shawcable.net.
> It does not support authentication (SMTP-AUTH) but you have chosen  to
> use authentication.
> Uncheck "Use name and password" for that server or contact the server
> provider
>
> Any assistance to solve this problem is appreciated.

This is a known issue. In the old Seamonkey, if you chose to use
authentication or encryption in your POP/SMTP connections and the server
didn't support it, Seamonkey silently fell back to
unencrypted/unauthenticated mode and did the connection anyway.

The new Seamonkey 2 doesn't do that -- if you ask for higher security
and the server doesn't provide it, it simply doesn't connect.

I didn't see the discussion, but I believe that this change was
introduced for one or both of the following reasons:
(a) The old setup gave users a false sense of security -- they enabled
the "security" options believing their traffic was protected, when in
fact it was not.
(b) The new setup makes it a little bit harder to spoof your mail
servers (by a virus, for example), since the spoofer will have to
provide compatible security features as well. The old way the spoofer
could use a very basic server with no security and it would fool Seamonkey.

So, you should go to the "settings" window for your SMTP connection and
untick the "Use name and password" box for it.

As an aside: I would worry about your ISP allowing non-authenticated use
of the SMTP server -- that's what's known as an "open relay", a thing
that spammers love. If spammers begin routing crap through it, the
server could be blacklisted -- and then, regular users like you wouldn't
be able to send messages.

There are some alternate ways to keep spammers from SMTP servers -- such
as restricting the sender IP or demanding a successful POP connection
before allowing the SMTP send -- but I have noticed that most ISPs that
used those alternate means have switched to password authentication. I
suppose that those alternate means must have shortcomings... I can
imagine a couple, and there are probably more.

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

-=-=-