Interviewed by CNN on 8/4/2010 10:13, Yalmez Yazaw told the world:
> How do I export my emails into a format that I can use in outlook?

I imagine that you must have reasons to take such a step, although I
can't imagine what they would be.

Anyway, it's Outlook's fault, mostly -- they don't offer a flexible
enough import process that would work with Mozilla/Thunderbird/Seamonkey
mbox files.

What it does import reliably is Outlook Express. But OE does not import
mbox either... so, what to do?

Well, you can drag-and-drop .eml-format email messages into OE. Then you
can import from OE to Outlook easily. Unfortunately, Thunderbird and
Seamonkey have no easy way to export messages to .eml (it's one of those
things that are perenially in the to-do list, it seems...)

So what you need is some way to convert mbox files into .eml files.
There's a free tool called IMAPsize that will do it. Full instructions
(for Thunderbird, but will work with Seamonkey too) here:
http://www.broobles.com/imapsize/th2outlook.php

The reverse process is easier: as long as you have Outlook installed,
Thunderbird and Seamonkey can import the messages in a single step.

I don't know what's the problem with the e-mail guys at Microsoft...
they don't seem to grasp the idea that people might have been using
other products before. I mean, I get the concept of not making it easy
to switch to another product -- it's evil, it's despicable, but I can
understand the reasoning; other evil products, like Incredimail, do the
same. What I don't get is not making it easy to convert *into* your
product. *Even from another Microsoft product.*

I spent several hours today converting e-mails and contacts from Outlook
2003 (Windows) to Entourage (Mac) for a customer. The job is made quite
complicated because:
- Entourage can't import from Windows Outlook, only from Mac Outlook
2001 -- and that only with a plugin.
- Mac Outlook 2001 can't import the new PST file format Outlook 2003 uses.
- Outlook 2001 is a "Classic" app, that is, it was designed to run on
MacOS 9 in a PowerPC machine, although it could run under the "Classic
Environment" on OSX. The problem is that newer Macs, being Intel-based,
no longer offer the Classic environment.

So, the rather contrived way to do this, if you go by the Microsoft
references, is:
1. Open Outlook 2003, create an "old-style" PST file and copy your stuff
into it. Mind the 2 Gb file size limit, though.
2. Find an older Mac and install BOTH Outlook 2001 (available as a free
download) and Entourage (commercial, expensive app) in it. Also install
the Outlook import plugin in Entourage.
3. Copy/move the "old-style" PST files to the Mac.
4. Import the "old-style" PST files into Outlook 2001.
5. Import the Outlook 2001 content into Entourage.
6. Copy the Entourage mail store to the new Mac.

Yes, boys and girls. If you go by the fully-Microsoft party line, you
have to do THREE conversion steps and TWO
move-from-a-computer-to-another steps. Good luck keeping your sanity.

Not having an old Mac available, I had to look into alternate ways to do
it. I found the following options:
A) Use a mail server (Exchange or IMAP). Move the messages from Outlook
into the server, then download them into Entourage. Feasible, but I
didn't have a server handy.

B) Purchase a commercial product to export Outlook messages into a more
convenient format.

c) Import the messages from Outlook into Thunderbird, copy the mail
store to Mac, then import the Mbox folders into Entourage (which involve
a few extra steps, because you have to change the mbox file extension to
.MBX and set their Mac attributes as a "text" file)

I eventually went with option C. It took a while, but it worked. Address
book conversion went much worse, though.

Apparently M$ is ditching Entourage and will replace it with a new
Outlook for Mac next year. I hope they have the sense of making it read
Windows Outlook file formats at the very least. I would like for better
support for reading and writing mbox files (it's the native format in
Entourage, so they *should* support it), but I'm not holding my breath
for it.

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.