Daniel wrote:
Arnie Goetchius wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
W3BNR wrote:

Set up a new SMTP account by going to Edit/Mail&Newsgroup Account
Settings/Outgoing Server (SMTP)/Add

Call it "Alias" and set it as the above, ie:

Server Name: outgoing.verizon.net
Port: 587
User Name: Joe.example (note: not joe.exam...@verizon.net)
Secure Authentication: No
Connection Security: None

Now set up a new account using Edit/Mail&Newsgroup Account
Settings/Add
Account

Call the account Alias and fill in what you want (name & e-mail
address
- must be a valid e-mail address) and go down to the 'Outgoing
server'
box and select Alias.

This should work with Verizon FIOS.

I forgot the MOST important thing. In the new Outgoing Server,
'Alias',
the User name MUST be your friends FIOS user name - NOT YOUR name.

OK, tried this, but the moment I clear the security/authentication
checkbox, SM also clears the username. When I check the box again, the
field remains blank (it really did forget the username).

OK, got it to work. Used one of the kids' accounts and his PW.

Thanks much.

I glad you got something working but you shouldn't have to use Verizon's
email servers at all. My daughter comes here periodically and uses her
laptop to connect to her email server (pop.att.yahoo.com and
smtp.att.yahoo.com) and has no problem downloading and sending email
from the yahoo server. You ought to be able to set up SM to access your
hughesnet servers the same way so you don't have to fuss with your
host's servers at all.

Arnie, I recently downloaded a new version of my operating
system,Mandriva Linux. The 4.1GByte download would have blown my
1GByte/month account right out the door, so I connected my laptop up to
my sister's 25GByte/month and the download worked well.

Whilst connected to my sister's ISP (Bigpond.com, I think), I downloaded
my mail from my ISP, Albury.net.au, and my ISP added an extra cost to my
account ($0.50 or so) because I was using another ISP to connect. Does
your daughter's ISP not do likewise??

I don't believe so but the only thing does is download her email, nothing big.

Daniel

One thing that messed me up when I first started setting up my POP and
SMTP servers was that I when tried to send an email, I was using the
wrong "From:" in the email message. On the far right side of the
"From:", click on the down arrow and make sure you are using correct one
for the email server you have selected.