Daniel wrote:
Mort wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Mort wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Mort wrote:
Daniel wrote:
One day, the addressbook will stick in Windows
HTH

Hi Daniel,

More frustration now. When I click on the address book in the l.l.
corner, I get only Collected Address Book, and no Personal Address
book.
When I try to import, I click on Address Book, and get 4 choices, none
of which works :Eudora, Outlook, Outlook Express, or text(incl LDIF,
whatever that is). When I type in the folder name of each of my found
abook. files, none of them gets imported to anything.

Wow. It's like that old vaudeville joke about directions: You can't
get
there from here.

Thanks again, Daniel.

Mort

If at first you don't succeed, Mort,................

1. In SeaMonkey, save an email address to your current abook.mab. This
will give the file today's dat, so you can tell which one is your real
abook. Tools->Export the addressbook to an .ldif file. Note its
location

2. Do a Windows Find File and Folder for abook.mab.

3. Change the name of your current abook (the one with today's date!!)
to something distinctive, keeping the mab trailer.

4. Move one of the other abook.mab's to the location of the original
abook.mab.

5. Start SeaMonkey and see if you can address an email.

If this abook is not the one you want, repeat steps 4 and 5 for the
other abook's. When you find the right one, then, if you want,
Tools->Import the addressbook that you started with and that you
exported as an ldif file.

See how that goes.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Again, many thanks. I do not have a current abook. icon in my SM. I have
only a Collected Addresses file icon in my SM. Search reveals 3 abook
files on my hard drive, each with 236 KB, and each with a long run-on
text. If I could enter a new address into one of them, which I cannot,
then I would never be able to find it.

Mort are you looking at the abooks outside of SM?? If so, stop wasting
your time, they will always look like garbage. It only matters what
happens to them inside of SeaMonkey

The frustrating thing is that those 3 abook files are there someplace on my hard drive, but not in SM where they should be. At least I still have
my Collected Addresses icon and file.

If you did a Windows Find File and Folder, looking for abook.mab, and
then set Windows up so that you can see all the sub-folders, then you
would be able to import them into SeaMonkey, to see if they are useful.

Hi Daniel,

Again, many thanks.
1) I looked up several books, Googled, etc., and still do not know how
to see all the subfolders.

After some Googleing, try "Open Windows Explorer. click on Organize - Folder & search options
View
(.) show hidden files and folders"
(I'm not using Windows, so cannot check these instructions, but I'm guessing they are o.k., but might need a bit of adjustment dependent on which version of Windows you are using.)

2) When I manage to get one of my abook.mab into where it should be it
is gone the next time I boot up.

When you find your abook files, open SeaMonkey and click on Edit->Mail&Newsgroup Account Settings, then select "Server Settings" for your Mail Account.

Look at Local directory (bottom of screen) for the location of your profile. If needs be, click into that space and arrow across to the right so you can see the full address. Write down the location.

Close this Window, close SeaMonkey. Open your Windows Explorer and make your way to the location you noted. You may even have to go a level or two lower to find your abook.mab file as you noted its location in the search a couple of days ago.

Right click on your abook.mab and select to rename it, then give it a name you will remember. Then, in Windows Explorer, locate one of the other abook.mab files and cut it from where it is and paste it where the now re-named abook.mab was.

Open Seamonkey, click on the Address book Icon in the bottom left of the SeaMonkey screen and see if it displays correctly.

If not, close SeaMonkey and Cut & Paste another Addressbook into the required location, and so on until either you find the abook you want or you've tried them all.

Report Back.

Daniel
 Hi Daniel,

More frustration. Searching for Windows Explorer reveals the following on-screen message: Windows cannot find Windows Explorer. Can you imagine. I still cannot find the way to show hidden files and folders nor subfolders, after following your instructions. I have a post-graduate degree and speak 4 languages well and 2 more somewhat, but that seems not to matter.The various abook.mab that I have are all dated 2007 and seem to be identical, all in running text form, and all seemingly refusing to go where they should.

Once more, the person Daphne in MozillaZine who supposedly ha sthe solution to this problem has still not answered my post there. Mamma mia.

Again, thanks for your wonderful efforts.

Mort