Phillip Jones wrote:
S. Beaulieu wrote:
Phillip Jones a écrit :
I seem to recall a conversation here or another group where the creator
of the Forms module in SM1 is long gone and they don't have anyone with
enough smarts to figure out the code, so they just scrapped it thinking
no one used it. Since developers don't use the features they create.

Stop spreading nonsense. No, they didn't scrap it "because they thought
no one used it". They scrapped it because the code was very complex and
obsolete and was a security problem.

S.

If they thought people used it they would made more of an effort. If
they had operated the original Forms manager to see what was done and
how, they could have created new code to duplicate its action. instead
of trying to dissect the old code.

Who is this "they" of whom you speak? You may not be a programmer, or even a coder, but if you care write a spec for what it should do. It needs to be totally unambiguous, cover all possible corner cases, and be clear and concise.

It should start with a statement of general philosophy, and what subset of user needs will be met. Hint: don't say anything like "all things to all people," or probably avoid "all" totally. Describe what is to happen in unambiguous cases, avoid suggest HOW to do it, that's the next step, and is likely to pollute the requirements one way or the other. The smaller and better defined the requirements are, the easier to get the code written (at least by volunteers).

A good requirements document is the first step to working code, to be followed by the actual module (process or procedure) specs. Then someone can write the code without doing all the design ad hoc.

If you want to see something better become part of "we" instead of whining about "they."

Just to be clear, I am not a contributor of code to this project, although my name appears in free software dating back to MULTICS and ISIS. I'm keeping a company going while maintaining a family and large house with a sick wife. If I occasionally put in a suggestion that's all I can do right now.

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>