Update: I managed to solve the problem by erasing my profile, copying in its place an older version of it I'd saved and then recopying all my mail data files over those. This allowed me to change the destination folder of junk mail *before* deleting the account to which it was originally redirected, and then delete that said account.

It seems that the problem really was caused by that: suppressing an account whose junk folder was the destination folder for all accounts' junk mail. It screwed up something in the system, thus preventing me to make any more changes to the junk mail settings.

I think this is a bug that needs to be corrected. Sure, deleting such an account would leave junk mail settings "orphan", but it shouldn't block the system completely. The settings should still be modifyable.

Anyway, I thought I'd report back this in case someone else runs into this problem.

S.