chicagofan wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
chicagofan wrote:
I thought I would try putting my laptop SM files on a flash drive,
since my external back up drive that I use for my desktop is on
another floor, and they are the only files I care about on this
laptop. However, I can't find my current mail/news files now.

I've found the SeaMonkey2 folder under Program Manager, but I can't
find the "current" files for the profile/mail/news, etc.. Under
Documents&  Settings, I have files that are dated 2009. That can't be
my current data, can it?
On my XP machine (IIRC, things are somewhat different on Windows 7, if
you're even using Windows...), the profile is at C:\Documents and
Settings\My Windows Name\Application
Data\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\..., where "My Windows Name" is my user
name as far as Windows is concerned.

Sorry I forgot to say I'm using WinXP2, and that's where my files are. I guess those old dates must relate to the dates the file folders were set up, and not the last time it was used. It's been a long time, since I've looked at these things, and I tend to forget "a lot". ;)

Also I haven't used flash drives before, so is it harder than I might
be thinking, to use them for backup. Do I need special software, or
can I just copy the files on there and copy them off, when/if needed?
Also can you just re-write over them, or should they be erased before
updating? LOL... or does it depend on the drive? TIA... for any
Can't answer this in any detail, but if your flash drive is formatted
for FAT32, it will have a 4 GB file size limit, in case any of your SM
files are that "fat." ;-)

There may be other considerations, keep reading for other responses.

I knew about the file size limitations, and that's another reason I thought I must not be looking at my current files, because they don't seem very big, for all the junk I have saved in SM. :)

Thanks for your help, Paul. Still hoping someone will jump in about the USB flash drives being used for backup. Good idea or bad? :)
bj

I like to use a flash drive to backup and restore the Profiles\\"user"
which includes the user's bookmarks and mail, with "Karen's Power Tools Replicator" to and from the drive...