Paul T. Karch wrote:
Barry Edwin Gilmour wrote:
Paul T. Karch wrote:
Barry Edwin Gilmour wrote:
Paul T. Karch wrote:
The last couple of days, when I have been downloading my email, I
sporadically get a popup window saying something to the effect that an error has occurred in truncating Inbox.mbx(?) please delete this file.
I haven't deleted the file but after clicking the OK button the
download continues apparently without problems.

But I am wondering if I am losing any emails. One person told me he
sent me emails but I haven't received any since
Jan. 30th from him.

I have a LOT of emails saved in Inbox and subfolders of Inbox -
probably between 50k and 100k. And filters to route them.

I use Windows XP Pro and AVG scans for viruses.

Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

I'll suggest repairing the folder via right-mouse-click on the
Inbox-folder, scrolling down and clicking on Properties, and
clicking on
the "Repair Folder" button, although I suspect you've already tried
repairing the folder.

On my version of Seamonkey, following the steps you suggest, there is
no button "Repair Folder" there is one labeled "Rebuild Summary File"
is that equivalent ?

That's the button. The summary file is the index to your Inbox folder
which gets sporadically confused, so needs a little rebuild.

Quoting from my little popup pane:-

"Sometimes the folder index-file becomes damaged and messages may
appear missing, or deleted messages continue showing: repairing the
folder may fix these issues"

Might be worth a try? HTH. Barry.
Almost forgot: Your messages aren't touched by this action.
Rebuilding your index summary file for any folder, does not touch or
corrupt your actual messages.
You are only rebuilding the actual tracking index-file for the messages
that are actually in the (separate) message folder-file, which as the
popup says, often exposes messages that are there, but are unviewable
due to a corrupt index file entry. HTH.

Thank you. Very informative. Also I went to the website. They say there can be a problem if too much 'space' is used in a folder - typically Inbox since it contains a lot of stuff. They give info on how to solve the problem, but it still seems a little tricky. The info is given in Firefox terminology. But they suggest deleting any garbage you can and then compacting folders since simply deleting emails does not really get rid of them till they are compacted out. Should have done this before bothering people. By the way, in Seamonkey help there is no info at all on the Summary File. Don't know why size is a problem
that can't be overcome.

Compacting will remove any messages that aren't listed in the folder's index-file, e.g. the "lost" messages. It will "compact" the actual folder-file's messages, to make it agree with what is showing in the folder's summary index-file, that is, it removes the deleted messages etcetera.

Rebuilding or repairing your folder's index-files gives SeaMonkey the true list of what messages are within in the actual folder / folders, including the deleted but yet-uncompacted (undeleted) messages, plus of-course, any messages that have had their indexes corrupted, so in your case, I'd think you may want to rebuild your summary file first, before you compact the messages. Compacting is supposed to compact the entire messages folders, and although others are noting some sub-folders are not getting compacted, I can't say that I've ever seen the omission. HTH. Barry.