Keith Whaley wrote:
I have a Mac, with OS 10.6.7, use SM v. 1.1.18 for communicating and a
little internet visiting.

Up until yesterday, that is.
I fell for an offer to use a pop-up 3rd party Mac cleaner-upperer and it
screwed up my slow but still working SM 1.1.18.
In the process, it 'cleaned up' stuff from my SM folder(s) that were
essential to proper operation.

For instance, If I'm in Mail & Newsgroups, I cannot access Navigator from
menu bar's Window/Navigator.
When pressed, the Navigator button does nothing. It's not hooked up.

However, if I press "Apple/Restart", I get a small window that says:
"Reference Error: inforssHeadline Display is not defined."
I click on that warning window's Restart and the Mail window appears.

It's obvious some thing critical had been removed/deleted and it
crippled my SM.

I happen to LIKE SM 1.1.18, and would like to keep it for a while. I
have SM v. 2.0.13 on tap, and have used it, but...I'd like to stay with
my older version for a while.

Should I choose to go to 1.1.19, is there a way I can UPGRADE my 1.1.18,
instead of downloading the full version and setting it up as tho' it was
totally new to me, which means I'd have to find ways to move a lot of
messages, bookmarks, etc., etc over.

The only choice I see at the moment is to bite the bullet, download the
big version and pretend I've never had a SM to use.

Note: I DO have a month old copy of SM 1.1.18 on a Time Machine backup.
I suppose that would be acceptable, but having never done it, I don't
know how complicated that might be, getting it to REPLACE the old
version...

Should I call the Mac Geek Squad instead?

keith whaley

I'm a Mac user...what I would do is drag your old Profile and Mozilla folders out of their current locations and onto your Desktop. Then install SM 1.1.19 and let it do its thing...then go back and drag/replace contents of the new default Profile folders with the required corresponding ones from your backup - Mail/News, Addresses, etc.

...and never use "clean up" apps of any kind...I find they all seem to do more damage than good.

--
     - Rufus