MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 17/06/2011 10:37, Rufus told the world:

Seriously - I don't care what goes on under the hood. If I can browse
with it on an iPad, it is a "full browser" to/for me. If Apple wants
you to use their rendering engine, then that's just less code you have
to write. The fact that it works differently on a different OS is of no
consequence to me - that's the nature of any platform.

You are entirely missing the point of the Mozilla ecosystem and the
rebirth of browser development. Ten years ago, there were so-called
alternative browsers for Windows that used the preloaded Trident engine
(the one in IE). The thing is, they were as slow as IE, had the same
rendering bugs as IE, the same security vulnerabilities as IE. If
Microsoft had been able back then to forbid Opera and Netscape/Mozilla
from installing alternative browser engines, we would be still stagnated
with prettier versions of IE 6 (they had in fact disbanded the Trident
development team). Meaning: slow Javascript, buggy implementation, poor
extension ecosystem...

Apple is already growing too comfortable with their effective monopoly
of browser engines in iOS: Safari development has been lagging behind
other browsers, despite sharing a lot of code with Chrome.

SM is given away for free...build it for iOS, charge 99 cents, and I
think folks would pay that. But if you're not even up to taking a
chance in the first place, then that your issue - not Apple's.

The point is: you *can't.* Seamonkey is Gecko-based. EVERYTHING in it is
based on Gecko -- the extensions environment, the whole thing. Apple
won't allow Gecko in the App Store.

So?..big deal. All depends on what you're after. Personally, I'd go
through the App Store on an iOS browser like other are doing.

If it's based on Safari, it won't be Seamonkey. To develop a Gecko
browser, it would be restricted to jailbroken devices. There's simply
not enough users, not enough developer interest to do it. If there was
interest, somebody would be doing it -- Mozilla is fully free software,
after all.

You do know Apple is now selling Unlocked iPhones Just announced last week.

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.        "If it's Fixed, Don't Break it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net        mailto:pjon...@kimbanet.com