I just tried this upgrade but was never asked which profile should be migrated.

The new installation is completely bare, with nothing carried over from 1.1.18.
The official installation instructions may apply just to upgrades from 2.0 to
2.1; they don't provide any special instructions or cautions about upgrading
from 1.1.18.

I followed the instructions for importing my bookmarks; it asked "which
profile" and then reported success, but the bookmarks haven't shown up in 2.1.

Fortunately 1.1.18 is still operational!

Should I uninstall 2.1 and just start over, or is there some interim step I
missed?