Jens Hatlak wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
I'll probably get my post taken down for this, but wouldn't it be easier
to provide a compatibility check disable in about:config that actually
WORKS instead of having some of us creating hacked xpi files and others
staying with old versions because they can't or won't?

First of all, I don't see why anyone would kill a post with such content.

The situation with SM regarding incompatible extensions can be
summarized as follows: First, there are two (10 ;-)) kind of extensions:
Those that declare compatibility with at least some version of SM (let's
call them "used to work"), and those that don't (let's call them
"unsupported").

For extensions that used to work (like QuoteCollapse), you can simply
install the Add-on Compatibility Reporter from AMO. It is currently
compatible with all SM versions from 2.1 (stable) through 2.4a1 (trunk).
This has the added benefit over simply setting the compatibility prefs
yourself (which you don't have to remember to set anymore!) that you can
let the extension authors know that their versions still work with the
SM version you are using.

Unsupported extensions however are different. They cannot be installed
or enabled in SM at all unless you hack their install.rdf (or someone
releases a new, supported version of course). Sometimes that's
unfortunate since the author just "blindly" removed SM support from
install.rdf, but it certainly is the safest thing to do as a default. To
my knowledge, there is no extension that automatically hacks install.rdf
for you (which, in the case of a download/install, would have to happen
in between the download and the install!).

The system, as outlined above, is part of the Mozilla platform (i.e.
shared with Firefox). Consequently, any change to it needs to be made to
the platform code, which is under Firefox development ruling. I'd assume
that any request regarding install.rdf hacking (even pref-guarded) would
be turned down, so I wouldn't bother trying.

Currently there is a compatibility check which can be disabled, but setting it doesn't disable compatibility checking! That's kind of a waste. There was (is) also another check disable, which I can't find quickly in my notes, something like:
  extensions.checkCompatibility.2.1
or similar, which actually did something, but doesn't seem to any more (which is why I don't have it enabled currently). If there were a config to ignore compatibility checking beyond the first (major) number, it would at least give people a chance to try things.

I assume that the reason people work on Seamonkey is because they want people to use it, therefore an option to disable at least some of the checks would be really useful. This *is* use at your own risk software, and an option is WAY safer than having users fiddling inside install.rdf.

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>
  We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have