Richard Owlett wrote:
I wish to use the _identical_ profile on *TWO* different WinXP Pro
machines. One machine is a desktop slowly recovering from a disk crash a
service department that decided to do some things their way rather than
as customer requested. The second machine is a backup laptop with its
own set of longevity issues.

I wish they profiles to reside on a USB so I can just plug it into the
appropriate machine. The critical thing is having all my mail and
newsgroups intact and up-to date. Leaving mail on my ISP's mail server
is not acceptable.

I'm using SeaMonkey 2.0.8. I know I'm revisions behind. I tried updating
and whatever the latest I had downloaded did not work well on my laptop
so I reverted.

What keyword should I search for and where?

TIA

I do something similar but with two desktop computers. One is my main computer and the other is a backup computer. What I do is copy the entire profile folder on my main computer onto a USB drive and then copy it to the backup computer. I haven't tried to move it back to the main computer.

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\ctsvjduh.default Your profile will have a different name.

I realize you ask how to run the profile from the USB drive and I'm not sure how you would do that. If the USB drive ever fails or malfunctions, your Profile is toast.

In your case, when you're ready to use the other computer, copy the entire profile folder to the USB drive and then copy it to the other computer. When you're ready to move back to the other computer, copy it back to the USB drive and then onto the other computer.

There are a lot of variables here. Both my computers are Windows XP. The profiles are stored in the same place. I'm using SM 2.3.1.

--
 JD..