Rickles wrote:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20110928 Firefox/7.0.1
SeaMonkey/2.4.1.

Others have complained about SM appearing to hang, or at least take a
ridiculously long time to do something as simple as delete an email. I'd
never seen it before, until today.

Normally the PC's been on most of the day while I've been at work, but
today the house was empty all day & I was the first home. Turned PC on
and left it un-logged in for approx. an hour.

Logged in, waited for systray icons to all appear showing all 'run' apps
completed, and opened SM Mail. It opened, downloaded 3 short text
messages. The wife read one message over my shoulder, said that message
could be deleted. So I did, or thought so, anyway.

Pressed delete key but message stayed in Inbox. Checked Deleted folder,
empty. Went back to Inbox, but only Folder pane showed any
content--thread & message panes were both blank. Assumed some background
process was taking up processor time, but Task Manager showed 99% system
idle time, and there was no network traffic.

No background CPU takeover, no scheduled tasks running, no busy network.
I left it ticking over for a full 5 minutes without change, then closed
the SM Mail window (browser never open). Verified seamonkey.exe process
was absent from Task Manager and re-opened Mail--deleted same message
again and it worked perfectly, and for everything after that.

Suggestions?

You must allow your hard working SM program to take a coffee break.
As you know that since the start of the rapid release policy
the program hasn't had a chance to stop to draw a decent breath.