David E. Ross wrote:
On 1/16/12 10:49 AM, DoctorBill wrote:
When logging into some web sites I visit, I see that when I go back,
I am still logged in.   Some not....

Some sites make me log in every 5 minutes or so of not having them
onscreen all the time.

So what is happening - cookies being placed ?

If so - are they ALWAYS in the cookie file or are other methods employed ?

If so, I would like to figure out how to make these log-in's permanent.

DoctorBill

All that is a function of the Web site.  In general, the site is timing
how long it has been since the last time you accessed its Web server,
how long you have been inactive on the site.   Some sites even allow you
to set the allowed duration of inactivity.

For financial and sales sites, this is a safety feature.  You are logged
out after some period of inactivity to prevent someone else from using
your login.  After all, many bank transactions or consumer purchases are
done online from the work place where other individuals are present.

I go to a web site daily, and it is often slow. I assumed this is because they have a relatively small server. So would keeping yourself logged into such a site slow it down for everyone else?