On 01/30/2012 07:39 PM, Marisa Ciceran wrote:
> I only spot-check the threads here, so I apologize in advance if this
> issue has already been discussed.
>
> I  have SeaMonkey version 2.6.1 installed on my Windows XP Professional
> desktop as well as on my Window 7 Home laptop. Yesterday, Seamonkey mail
> crashed in Windows XP, generated a crash report yesterday, and I had to
> reboot several times before even the SeaMonkey browser opened again.
> Incoming mails now generate an unknown POP3 server error, which has
> prevented incoming emails since around noon (EST) today.  Meanwhile, so
> such problem exists in the Windows 7 laptop.

It's helpful if you provide the crash report URI:
about:crashes
  click on the latest one & then supply the URI
See: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Breakpad for more information. Also be
sure to read/understand:
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/legal/privacy
[in particular starting at: Interactive Product Features]
Note: nothing nefarious there, but you should read & understand the
privacy info. Sample from one of my crash reports:

<https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/bp-63c6e408-1f78-440a-9a56-9d5c22120123>

> I uninstalled SeaMonkey 2.6.1 and reinstalled it to not effect. then
> tried 2.5 which made no difference. The only thing I haven't done is
> uninstall and remove all traces of SeaMonkey from REGEDIT.  I am NOT
> going to install Windows 7 on my "trusty work-horse" Windows XP computer
> for the obvious reason. Does anyone here have any clues as to how I can
> get incoming POP3 mails again?

Uninstalling will not remove the user profile (for good reason). I
suspect that you've a corrupted user profile; this is the reason why it
also crashes with 2.5. Easy ways to test is to:

1. Restart with no addons enabled to see if an addon is an issue:
Help|Restart with Add-ons Disabled

If that doesn't work, then create a clean test profile:

2. Create a test profile and see if that crashes. Back up your existing
profile first, then Tools|Switch Profiles - that will bring up the
profile manager. You can then click 'Manage Profiles' and 'Create
Profile' to create a "test" profile. You can then switch to the "test"
profile and see if SM still crashes. I doubt that it will & if it does
you do indeed have a system problem. If it doesn't (that's my bet) then
you have a profile issue.
 You can add one of your POP3 accounts to the test profile (just be sure
to 'leave mail on server' in server setting so that you don't
accidentally download all of your message & in the process delete them
from the server.
  You can go back and remove the msf files in your mail folder.

In any event, don't go messing about in the Windows registry unless you
really know what you are doing.