On 2/1/2012 4:42 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/1/12 1:23 PM, Larry S. wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/1/12 10:18 AM, Larry S. wrote:
Downloaded 2.7 from the "Check For Updates" link. All seemed well, until
I tried to start SM after "Installation Completed". Got message "Can't
find SeaMonkey.exe". Searched all over, and guess what, it wasn't there.
O.K., I'll d/l using IE (ughh!), which is all I've got at this point.

Same result, except that the message was "Can't read application.ini".

Third try, and this time all seemed well until the "Checking Extensions
. . ." appeared, at which point the entire thing disappeared, SM icons
and all. No trace.

Surrendering, I d/l 2.6.1 (in spite of the red and yellow warning). All
well, except that the opening page (SM welcome thing) came up blank,
nothing worked, and using Task Manager wouldn't close SM.

Computer off, restart, SM starts o.k., replaced profile with the b/u
copy, and all seems well.

Better than updating to 2.6.1, which was an even worse experience.
Finally got it installed and working, and eventually recovered some
"lost" old family e-mails, thanks to great help by Paul B. Gallagher in
this news group.

Recent SM updating process not a confidence builder!

I bought a 2 GB flash drive (memory stick).  I archive all software that
I install.  Thus, if I encountered your problem with 2.7, I would
already have 2.6.1 handy.

I do delete some old versions when I archive new ones.  For example, I
have only the three latest SeaMonkey versions -- 2.4, 2.5, and 2.6 --
plus the partial MAR file to get 2.6.1 from 2.6.  When I install 2.7, I
will delete 2.4.

I do not archive software that I acquire on other hard media (e.g.,
CDs).  Also, I cannot archive software unless it is possible to download
the installer file and install from my own hard drive.  When possible, I
bypass stub installers and instead get the complete installer (e.g., for
Flash).

My flash drive is only 75% full, including all the fonts that I have
obtained over a number of years.

Good suggestion! Since I'm on 2.6.1 right now, what would I archive?
(I've got 90GB available on external hard drive.) SM.exe (43MB)? What
else? The entire SM folder in Program Files (51 MB)? How/where do I get
the installer? Is it unique to a particular SM version? Do I archive it
as well, or can I always get it online?

And, the really big question I still have--how the heck can I upgrade to
2.7 without another disaster? (Perhaps foolishly, still want to do it.)

Thanks for being here with good advice!

I only archive installer files and fonts, not the executable result of
running an installer file.

I have software that is no longer available for downloading but still
can be run from Windows XP (sometimes with a registry tweak).  I still
use much of this old software because it does what I want.  It will NOT
run, however, with Windows 7 except in Windows XP mode.  (Why should I
buy Windows 7 if I plan to run only in Windows XP mode when I already
have Windows XP?)  :(

I would suggest that you start now with any new installers you download.
  If you have the time an patience, you can also go back and download
again those installers you have already used.

I've had great luck with Moz-Backup
http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

Before updating I make an archive of everything with Moz backup then upgrade. If something goes wrong (loose book marks etc) then I just use MozBackup to re-import the old profile into the new version. If I had to go backwards would work here as well. Also works great to move between Seamonkey/Netscape/Firefox/Thunderbird when I have had to do that.

Hawker