David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/20/12 7:35 PM, Rufus wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/20/12 1:28 PM, Rufus wrote:
David E. Ross wrote:
On 2/20/12 11:59 AM, Rufus wrote:
Ok - I submitted a formal bug on this at the 2.6.1 release, but it's
just happened again under SM 2.7.2 and it's about THE single most
annoying SM bug I can think of - prompt for Master Password when not
seemingly required.  What is SM doing, and how do I STOP it?!?!?

When this happens during a download SM freezes and I have to Force Quit
SM and lose the entire session - and the download - and start over from
scratch.  SM either needs to be fixed to ask for the Master in accord
with user Preference (like it once did...) OR is needs to be fixed so
that it doesn't hang and freeze if this happens.

This doesn't occur in Profiles in which I don't have a Master Password
set...but this has been broken since version 1.1.16 or thereabouts and
needs some *attention*!  PUHLEEEEEEZEEEE!!!!!

I do not see this problem.  I have the following in the user.js file in
my profile:
        user_pref("signon.startup.prompt", false);
        // don't ask for master password until it's used,
        // bugs #338549 (fixed?), #560792 (not yet fixed), and #560793 (not
yet fixed)

The indicated status of those three bugs is as of 2 Feb.

I submitted bug 724296 - I submitted it against the Mac version, as
that's all I use.  I can bear witness that the problem is *not* fixed,
and has remained consistently broken through a *long* series of releases
on the Mac.

My Preferences are set to only ask for the Master the first time it is
needed, and my Mail Prefs are set to not check for new mail manually.
Other than that the only thing I can think of is that SM is polling on
it's own...for what, I can't tell.

I can find no user.js file in my Profile folder...is a user.js file not
part of the Mac structure?  I have a prefs.js file in my Profile(s) -
looking at that file using Text Edit I see:

for Passwords -

user_pref("security.password_lifetime", 90);

and -

user_pref("signon.startup.prompt", false);

for Mail -

user_pref("mail.server.server1.check_new_mail", false);

...and yet I *still* see this problem.  *Every* session!

The file prefs.js should not be edited.  Instead, you need to create
user.js in your profile when you make your first entry in it.  Then,
when you launch SeaMonkey (or Thunderbird or Firefox, each of which can
have user.js in its profile), the settings in user.js override the
settings in prefs.js, actually changing prefs.js so that -- if you
delete user.js -- the changed settings in prefs.js remain changed.

You can always change prefs.js by putting about:config in the SeaMonkey
address area.  I prefer doing that only for testing.  When I want a
change to stick, my first choice is to go to [Edit>   Preferences].
However, some preferences are "hidden".  In that case, I use user.js
because I can annotate it with comments that remind me what I have done.

Yes - I don't edit these, just inspect them.  But I shouldn't have to go
creating or editing a javascript file or go fooling around with
about:config to get SM to us it's own Preference settings correctly.
Particularly when it appears that SM itself is setting the proper flags.

The bug needs to be addressed and corrected!  SM isn't prompting at
startup, so that part appears to be working - it' when it prompts in the
middle of a session for no apparent reason that is the problem.

...like just now.

I never said that setting a preference variable in user.js is a solution
to your problem.  It is merely a workaround until the bugs are fixed.

In any case, prefs.js and user.js are NOT really JavaScript files.

Ok...so what are they, and what were you suggesting? I got the impression you were trying to point me at a correct configuration of/for a SM generated supporting file.

I'm not a coder, and I wouldn't really know what I'm doing fooling around with either of them - so I likely won't. I'd just like the bug fixed.

--
     - Rufus