On 2/21/12 5:28 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 2/21/12 4:20 PM, gjikkl wrote:
>> I stand correct on the percentage-encoding not being Unicode.
>>
>> Well IMO this shouldn't even be a problem, is kinda of common this
>> percentage-encoding and all browsers should recognize it and make the
>> proper translation.
>
> Browsers do recognize percent-encoding when found in a domain, path,
> file, query (following a &), or fragment (following a #).  But
> percent-encoding is not allowed for separation characters or protocols.
>
> In your URI
> <http%3A%2F%2Fi283.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fkk284%2Fdismadrosa13%2Fline.gif>:
>

> http is the protocol.
>
> You have %3A%2F%2F in place of ://, which are separation characters
> where percent-encoding is illegal.  Not only does SeaMonkey not support
> the use of percent-encoding for separation characters, but Internet
> Explorer (the only other browser installed on my PC) also does not
> support it.
>
> i283.photobucket.com is the domain.
>
> You have %2F in place of / four more times, which are more separation
> characters (1) between the domain and the path, (2) two times within the
> path (albums/kk284/dismadrosa13), and (3) between the path and the file
> (line.gif).
>
> I previously referred to RFC 3986.  Please read it.
>
> Note that & is a special character in HTML.  Since RFC 3986 specifies
> its use as the separation character before a query in a URI, HTML
> provides for &amp; in place of & in a URI.  Browsers translate &amp;
> into & when ever it is found, in a URI or in plain text content.  I do
> not think browsers support %26 for that purpose within a URI.

By the way, the software that handles URIs is in the Gecko core.  This
means that SeaMonkey, Firefox, Thunderbird, and other Gecko-based
applications all refuse to support percent-encoded separation characters.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross