Interviewed by CNN on 17/03/2012 20:29, David E. Ross told the world:

> And, no, extensions are not sufficient to solve a bug.  An extension
> should be considered only a temporary work-around when there is a report
> of a software deficiency.

It depends on the "software deficiency." If only one in a thousand
users, say, considers it a "deficiency," it makes more sense to provide
this extra functionality as an extension, in order to keep from bloating
the basic product.

Generally speaking, all features cost /something/. There's a development
cost, there's a support cost, there's a download size cost, there's a
memory footprint cost, there's a performance cost, there's a UI bloat
cost. Managing those costs is part of the product development. And
sometimes users may have a disagreement with the dev team on whether the
benefits of including a feature offset its costs.

For instance, during my old BBS days, pre-Internet, I used a message
reader called Blue Wave. It had a very nice built-in tagline management
feature. When I moved to the Internet, I was surprised to find out that
e-mail clients didn't include this feature. It wasn't a deal-breaker,
but I really missed it.

However, I came to realize that most users didn't care (even in my BBS
days most users never fiddled with that feature). It didn't make sense
to bloat the program and the UI with a seldom-used feature.

Eventually, I found an extension that supplied the missing
functionality. I have been using it since. It works for me and doesn't
bloat the program for the 99+% other users who don't care for taglines.

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

-=-=-
... Sent from my Total Lack of Social Skills.