Daniel wrote, On 26/04/2012 11:28:
Ray_Net wrote:
Daniel wrote, On 25/04/2012 11:20:
Ray_Net wrote:

<Snip>

And i have my home page set to: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/start/

Sorry, Ray, are you saying that when you update SM, it actually sets
your homepage to that website, or are you just un-aware that the first
time you open a browser window, after an update, a different
preference causes SM to go to that page??

Your prefs homepage setting should be untouched (mine is untouched).
The first time around, just close the SM page and then re-open your
home page.

My home page is *always* set to: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/start/
so i am aware of a new full release version.
And when i decide to go to that version, i *never* update ... I always
do a lot of needed steps go go from my current version to the version a
want to use.
Those steps that i follow is written i a simple file named
"how-to-pass-SM-from-2.1-to-2.8.txt" per exemple.
In short, very short, this file tell me to do:
1. Download all i need to have the new version ok. (i addition notice
what i should know when installing the new version)
2. Stop the internet connection and stop SM.
3. Backup the SM profile.
4. Go to the "Control Panel" and choice "Add/Remove Programs" to remove
the current version.
5. Use the downloaded stuff to install the new versionof SM with the new
version of each "AddOn" i need.
6. Start the new SM and verify that all my options in "Software
Installation" are reset.
7. Re-instate the Internet Connection.
8. Due to the fact that each time when installing this way a new SM
version, the SM installation modifies always my prefered options like
"tabs".
So i should verify an re-instate what it was before ....grrr....

Ray, if you know that your new installation will need you to re-set things as you prefer, why don't you just update, which leaves SM set-up as you liked??

I know ... but i think that using my way of updating let the registry clean of old versions stuff. Anyway my approach permit me to upgrade OR to install SM on a new machine using the current profile. Another advantage is that i can easely go back to the previous version(using the previous profile).