On 5/2/2012 11:56 AM, Philip Chee wrote:
On Wed, 02 May 2012 11:49:46 -0400, hawker wrote:
On 5/2/2012 1:05 AM, MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 01/05/2012 20:30, Patrick Crumhorn told the world:

Since patching to SM 2.9.1 this morning, multiple downloads are broken.  I used
to be able (as of
last night even) to go to a site and start a download of an audio file from an
html link, then do
another one or two at the same time, but now when I start a new download, it
will not start unless I
pause the download already in progress.  And the paused d/l will not restart
until I pause or
complete or kill the other one.  This is a real problem - any suggested
workarounds? (Using XP
Professional, btw).

The DownThemAll extension. If you download lots of files, you probably
will like it so much that you won't *care* if the bug is ever fixed.

So is this a known and reported bug?
DownThemAll has a built in "accelerator" which implies that the download
happens though DownThemAll's server not direct. That is a privacy

No "download accelerator" doesn't imply that the download happens though
DownThemAll's server at all. What makes you think that?

And anyway if it goes through an intermediate server then it would be
slower not faster.

Phil

The way download accelerators have always worked, AFAIK is the the assumption that a accelerator company (it used to be your ISP) has a faster pipe. It downloads it, re compresses it and sends it to you that way, then your end decompresses. This step takes a host server. This is why they mostly don't work per the test on the net (IE files tend to already be as compressed as they can, and we now all have fat pipes). They are a leftover from dial up days that worked with non compressed files.

If you have different information, and modern download accelerators don't work like the old ones, than I would love to be enlightened.